[Ardour-Dev] Hello, some tech talk, etc.

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Tue Jul 3 11:31:54 PDT 2012

On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 9:15 PM, Razvan Cojocaru <razvanco at gmx.net> wrote:

> As for how simple it is to get acquainted with the GTK+ threading model,
> I admit that I'm far from being a heavyweight on the matter, but I did
> manage to Google myself this earlier today:
>

> http://blogs.operationaldynamics.com/andrew/software/gnome-desktop/gtk-thread-awareness

a bit out of date. the basic advice that he tries to workaround is the
single factoid you need to know:

    only make GTK/GDK calls from the (single) thread running the GTK event
loop,
         except for g_idle_add() and its cousins.

ardour adheres to this model 100%. no GUI code is ever executed from
anything except that thread.

Clearly. I never meant to imply that they are. What I find interesting

> is that I can't reproduce it at all (tried on an x86 and an x86_64
> Gentoo) to no avail, and thus it has, perhaps, been fixed in the meantime?

this is not impossible, but its also about equally likely that you have a
machine like mine that is remarkably resistant to many serious ardour crash
bugs. i've very rarely been able to reproduce the zoom bug, even with the
same session. others will see it every time. such is the nature of
pointer-walk-related bugs - the crash depends on what is in the memory zone
where the pointer walks into, and that can differ for lots of different
reasons.

i'm working quite hard on not worrrying about it anymore because of the
planned canvas switched.