[Ardour-Dev] Hello, some tech talk, etc.

Razvan Cojocaru razvanco at gmx.net
Tue Jul 3 11:15:36 PDT 2012

> there is never a good reason to use a recursive mutex except for lack of
> time or willingness to correctly understand the threading design. never.

I agree (as I had hoped I was able to make clear in my previous reply)
that the best way is to gain an in-depth understanding of the threading
model you're working with. However, that's not always a realistic goal
(I'm not saying that this is the case with Ardour).

I'm happy that Ardour is in good hands, my spare time, however, is not a
lot at the moment, unfortunately, and thus I've perhaps been hasty to
think that you don't have a lot of it either.

As for how simple it is to get acquainted with the GTK+ threading model,
I admit that I'm far from being a heavyweight on the matter, but I did
manage to Google myself this earlier today:

http://blogs.operationaldynamics.com/andrew/software/gnome-desktop/gtk-thread-awareness

>      I did, and can always reproduce the one about zooming into
>     a new, empty tape track.
>
> they are not necessarily the same (clearly ::)

Clearly. I never meant to imply that they are. What I find interesting
is that I can't reproduce it at all (tried on an x86 and an x86_64
Gentoo) to no avail, and thus it has, perhaps, been fixed in the meantime?