[Ardour-Dev] Ardour3 rev.13135 undefined symbol

Robin Gareus robin at gareus.org
Sun Aug 19 09:50:22 PDT 2012

Hi John,

On 08/19/2012 06:18 PM, John Rigg wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 18, 2012 at 12:27:30PM +0100, John Rigg wrote:
>>> Beware. Installing glib in /usr/local can be a very bad idea. Chances
>>> are that it'll break your system unless you also recompile many other g*
>>> libraries.
>>
>> This is in addition to the distro versions in /usr. a3 is the only thing
>> compiled against these new libs.
>>
>>> You should really use a dedicated path and set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to that
>>> in the ./ardev script.
>>
>> There's no ./ardev script

ardev and ardbg are scripts in ARDOUR-SOURCE/gtk2_ardour/ to launch
ardour from the source-tree without installing it. Anyway, in your case
/usr/local/bin/ardour3 is also a shell script where you can also add or
edit LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

Note that  `./waf install` is not yet a supported way to install
ardour3. While it does kind of work, it does not yet install midi-maps
or midnam files for example.

The supported way to run a self-compiled version of A3 at this point in
time is './ardev'.

> but it doesn't appear to be a problem now that
>> I've added /usr/local/lib to /etc/ld.so.conf/libc.conf and run ldconfig
>> again. It starts and runs fine now on my test system.
>
> I spoke too soon. Both versions of glib are visible to other apps
> that use it. Ardour 2 started acting very strangely, playing at half
> speed and then refusing to play at all. Looks like I need to use a dedicated
> path as you suggested.

ardour3-svn currently contains a hack that will look in $HOME/gtk/inst/
but don't count on it. It's clearly marked as "hack" and was actually
intended to address a different issue (OSX builds if I'm not mistaken).

robin