[Ardour-Dev] building A3 on OSX; patches

Robin Gareus robin at gareus.org
Mon Nov 28 15:07:06 PST 2011

On 11/28/2011 11:13 PM, Thomas Vecchione wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 4:49 PM, Robin Gareus <robin at gareus.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi *,
>>
>> How do you guys build the universal OSX binary of Ardour3?
>>

> To my knowledge, we don't;)

missing symbols, not declared in this scope:
 _preset_box, GetCFRunLoopFromEventLoop and GetCurrentEventLoop()
are an issues on i386, too.

That is i686-apple-darwin10-gcc-4.2.1 on OSX 10.6.8 with MacOSX10.5.sdk

I hazard a guess that those are related to the lack of namespaces on
gcc/osx and using macosx-version-min=10.4; I tried a few options but I'm
at a loss how to solve this issue.

What versions of gcc and OSX are used to compile the official ardour3 beta?

[..]
> It seems you have had better luck and I really should take another look.

It's not difficult; just time-consuming to prepare universal dylibs of
glib, gtk, cairo, gnomecanvas, pixman, etc & the -mm C++ wrapper libs.

./configure --prefix ~/gtk/inst --libdir ~/inst/lib --disable-static
--disable-dependency-tracking CFLAGS="-arch i386 -arch ppc -arch x86_64
-isysroot /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.5.sdk -mmacosx-version-min=10.5"
CXXFLAGS="-arch i386 -arch ppc -arch x86_64 -isysroot
/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.5.sdk -mmacosx-version-min=10.5" LDFLAGS="-arch
i386 -arch ppc -arch x86_64 -isysroot /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.5.sdk
-mmacosx-version-min=10.5 -headerpad_max_install_names"

does the trick here. The only one that requires special attention is
glib-2.31.2. I compiled it two times: 32&64bit, `lipo` the dylibs, and
created a /universal/ glibconfig.h:
  #ifdef __LP64__
    #include <glibconfig_64.h>
  #else
    #include <glibconfig_32.h>
  #endif

> In as far as your specific questions I would need to look into the code to
> answer it and can probably only give as good an answer as you already
> have;)

Let me rephrase the question: How do you build any OSX version with
Audio Unit Plugin support? Are you building them or does Paul?

> Just interested to hear you built it as a binary, how big did that
> come out to and debug or non-debug?

No debugging at all. Just build issues. Works fine since 2 or 3 hours.
no [major] bugs so far.

You guys did an amazing job! About a year ago getting A3 going on OSX
version was a major pain. Now running `waf` just works. well, almost :)

robin