[Ardour-Dev] ambi panning in a3

Fons Adriaensen fons at linuxaudio.org
Tue Nov 1 10:19:19 PDT 2011

On Tue, Nov 01, 2011 at 05:28:03PM +0100, Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:

> what makes you think a3 won't have optional ambi panning at some point
> in the very near future?

For one, the fact A2 would have AMB panning 'in the very near
future' something like five years ago. I even twice proposed
to do the DSP part if someone else would take care of the GTK
side, but nothing happened.

> do you see any fundamental issues that i'm overlooking?

A decent AMB panner takes a bit more than the spiffy graphics
that the VBAP panner provides. In my AMB mixer it takes three
controls (rotary in this case), and a non trivial graphical
dialog to configure it.

And you don't just need panners, other parts need to be 'AMB
aware' at least (sends, groups, the plugin interface, solo
logic ...). And the complete monitoring module would need to
be replaced.

Even requests for trivially simple things such as extending
the positive gain range of the faders result in resistance
and silly objections, so I'm not holding my breath.

Ciao,

--
FA