[Ardour-Dev] Non-freewheeling export mode in Ardour 3?

Fons Adriaensen fons at linuxaudio.org
Tue Nov 1 05:56:51 PDT 2011

On Tue, Nov 01, 2011 at 07:24:45AM -0400, Paul Davis wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 6:58 AM, Fons Adriaensen <fons at linuxaudio.org> wrote:
>
> > - recording / playing external automation data (not related to
> >  internal or plugin GUI controls),
>
> what kind of data? recorded and played back via ... ?

Any data that controls processing outside Ardour. WFS panning
is a good example. Or controlling an external SC, Pd or Csound
session (don't tell me to use MIDI for that, and anyway such
data must remain linked to the audio signals, i.e. to a region
and not just transport position). Of course it's easy enough to
write a plugin that provides the controls and instead of doing
the audio processing just sends the control data to some external
process. The problem with this is that such data can only originate
inside Ardour, or in a plugin, you can't use an ad hoc external
GUI or any other physical interface.

I've been using audio tracks to do this sort of thing up to now,
exploiting the fact that they can record arbitrary floating point
data. But it's a royal pain.

And since A3 won't have AMB panning, and doing this by separate
plugins for each track is real pain, I'm moving to a workflow that
does all mixing outside Ardour, so automating that would be an
application as well.

Ciao,

--
FA