[Ardour-Dev] Non-freewheeling export mode in Ardour 3?

Leigh Dyer lsd at wootangent.net
Tue Nov 1 04:10:35 PDT 2011

On 1/11/11 9:58 PM, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> But what would be the difference with just recording the signals you
> want to export on a new track ? In particular if you could request any
> track to use a multichannel file format ? The latter seems to be the
> thing to ask for.

That might be a nice feature to have anyway, but I don't think it's a
good alternative for a non-freewheeling export, for various reasons:

* it's more complicated to perform, compared to just running an export
with a "non-freewheeling" option set
* it needlessly adds the export to the session -- if I have a MIDI only
session that's a couple of MB in size, I don't really want to be adding
100MB WAV exports to it
* there's no control over export file format (bit depth, sample rate,
codec, etc.)

Right now, I have to export most of my Ardour sessions by opening JACK
Timemachine and recording Ardour's output while it plays back the
session. That works fine, of course, but it's a pain, not in the least
because I have to make sure I stop the recording when the session has
finished.

Thanks
Leigh