[Ardour-Dev] Building A3 on Fedora14

Hartmut Noack zettberlin at linuxuse.de
Mon Mar 7 14:51:25 PST 2011

Am 07.03.2011 07:58, schrieb Fernando Lopez-Lezcano:
> On 03/06/2011 06:15 PM, Paul Davis wrote:
>> On Sun, Mar 6, 2011 at 9:08 PM, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano
>> <nando at ccrma.stanford.edu> wrote:
>>
>>> I don't currently have packages for jack1, otherwise it would be
>>> possible to
>>> remove (ignoring dependencies) jack2, install jack1, compile and then
>>> test
>>> with either. I'll see if I get time to build something...
>>
>> ./configure --prefix=/usr&& make&& sudo make install
>>
>> :)

I did this on Ubuntu to get Jack 0.120 but of course it did not replace
jack2 completely. So I removed everything related to jack in /usr/lib
and ran make install again.
I still had to reboot first to make it run but now I have it up and
running.

Ardour3 compiled and runs pretty much OK now showing a lot of progress
compared to the builds I made in December.

kudos! :-)

The list of dependencies on ardour.org/building is not complete anymore
so waf stopped 2 or 3 times complaining about missing deps. uuid was one
and cppunit another if I remember it correctly. All needed stuff can be
installed using apt though...

UbuntuStudio runs astoundingly well even though it only comes with a
kernel-package named "generic". In a first test I encountered less than
5 xruns within 2-3h of starting apps, recording, tweaking settings and
even installing missing packages. With jack set to use a MAudio MobilPre
USB-Interface with 128frames, 2 periods at 48KHz. But I think I actually
*heared* some drop-outs especially in ZynaddSubFX, though no xruns
showed up.

> yes and no. A reinstall of jack2 of top of that manual install does not
> insure that absolutely all bits of jack1 will disappear.
> Unless the
> jack1 uninstall target is perfect, which I imagine it would be.
>
> I prefer to always use packages.....
> -- Fernando

That may be a wise decision and on a working machine I only build
software from source, that can be cleanly installed parallel to its
distro-package into /usr/local. In most cases I simply use versions as
provided by a repo. Especially for the basic-system (Kernel, Jack, Alsa)
I only compile for myself, if there is absolutely no other way. I rather
install an entirely new system instead -- as I did with Fedora14/CCRMA
last December. Since Studio64 Electric I never had a system as reliable
and powerfull like F14/CCRMA on one of my computers so replacing
something in the core of it would be a too dangerous experiment for my
taste ;-)

best regards

HZN