[Ardour-Dev] building A3 on OSX; patches

Robin Gareus robin at gareus.org
Sun Dec 4 13:29:03 PST 2011

On Dec 2, 2011, at 8:41 PM, Paul Davis wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 2:04 PM, Robin Gareus <robin at gareus.org> wrote:

>>> could you explain what 002 (VST) is all about?
>>
>> The issue is that get_vst_midi() is undefined when compiling without
>> WINDOWS_VST_SUPPORT and without LXVST_SUPPORT.
>>
>> The compiler barfs on libs/ardour/vst_plugin.cc
>>
>> It's a bit overkill to #ifdef out the whole file; it could be excluded
>> in the wscript or sth could be done about get_vst_midi()..
>
> thanks ... ok, i believe i fixed that in rev 10863

It is.

I still need patch 0001- explicit typecasts and glib includes - in order to compile it here.
But it is are only relevant for 64bit (pointer looses precision) and glib >= 0.2.30 (.31?).

Anyway, I still can not create a binary where mouse-interaction with the AU plugin UI works.
Keyboard interaction with Carbon and Cocoa are OK;  automation tracks and presets work; but sth. seems to be missing to pass mouse-events through from GTK to the swallowed Cocoa or Carbon AU plugin GUI.

It is independent of my patches: An i386 binary with minimal changes to upstream (just glib includes to make it compile) fails as well. I hazard a guess that it's got to do with gtk+glib versions. I have gtk+2.20.1 and gtk+3.2.2; both with glib-2.31.2.
A3 is using 2.24.1 and 2.27.4. I have not yet tried that. Any ideas if that'd be the right track to follow?
't might also be related to the OSX 10.5 SDK vs. 10.4u or even sth completely different..

OTOH I'm not really motivated to trace these OSX issues. The video track works fine without AU plugins, yet I could dig a bit if it'd help you down the road.

robin