[Ardour-Dev] ardour3 and tranzport?

Mike Taht mike.taht at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 12:57:57 PDT 2011

I'd written the kernel driver for the alphatrack because I'd
encountered the same problems with fast movement with it, as I had had
on the tranzport.

So far as I know  the fast movement issues are totally unresolvable in
userspace. Still. 4+ years after I wrote these drivers.

Then the breathtaking scope required to fully utilize the alphatrack
became apparent...

Then it took 2 years for the tranzport and alphatrack drivers to
become more or less standard parts of the kernel...

during which time I'd moved to the third world, and given up working
on both the kernel and ardour and was deep into another project AND
offline 95% of the time.

I am briefly back in the US and wouldn't mind reducing my guilt
quotient for this project. Certainly core components of ardour3 have
moved along enough to make implementing a better interface more
feasible.

HOWEVER I'm not the guy to do it - obviously. I did the kernel
drivers. That's what I know. C++ and I are not friends.

I am certainly willing to work (briefly) with another ardour
programmer to try and get the knowledge gaps straightened out, but...

For those that haven't seen the the old patches to ardour to use the
kernel drivers, they are here:

http://www.teklibre.com/~d/frontier.tgz

I do note that my last couple commits to the kernel tranzport driver
had issues with the keyboard map. I tried to introduce functionality
not supported by the transport hardware itself.

Never ever got the ardour/alphatrack interface to go anywhere.

the kernel drivers, however, are very stable.

--
Michael David Taht
PostCards From the Bleeding Edge