[Ardour-Dev] Some editing hints wanted

Giso Grimm gg3137 at vegri.net
Tue Sep 14 01:25:04 PDT 2010

Hi Fons & list,

On 09/13/2010 10:34 PM, fons at kokkinizita.net wrote:
> I have a number of takes of the same piece, all together about
> an hour of recording. There are multiple tracks, some of them
> also multichannel. The final version consists of bits and pieces
> of those takes spliced together.
>
> The basic operation consists of
>
> 1. extracting those pieces,
> 2. moving them somewhere (the end of the session) in the right order,
> 3. splicing then together so the transitions won't be noticed.

not an exact answer to your question, still I think it could be useful:
If all takes where single-track multichannel (should also work with
multi-track, I have not tested), the attached application (c++-code) can
create a new ardour project where all regions of a track are put into
separate playlists in that track with only one region in it. The
original palylist is kept. The position of each new region is chosen
that all centres of all regions are at the same place - if you recorded
many takes of the same material than all related bits should be more or
less upon each other (but in different playlists). For editing I create
a new playlist (or new track), and copy ranges from good playlists to
the final one.

I implemented this during editing my last CD project (hope you like it
:), and it definitely speeded up the editing of it.

Sorry, the code is completely undocumented, and rather a quick messy fix
than nice coding. Do not hesitate to ask any questions...

-- Giso