[Ardour-Dev] Some observations about Ardour 2 and 3

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Wed Nov 10 09:38:46 PST 2010

On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 12:07 PM, Valerio Orlandini
<valerio.orlandini at gmx.com> wrote:
> Hello, I have some questions about some aspects of Ardour design.
>
> I noticed (on both Ardour 2 and 3) that if I add new tracks and then I close
> the session without saving it first, the new tracks reappears when I open
> the session again.
>
> Is it an intentional feature (and if it is the case, I personally find it
> not very useful) or a bug to be reported?

its intentional. in fact, in mixbus there is a notice to the user now
that adding new tracks/busses will save the session.
whether its correct is another question. it comes out of a relatively
old assumption that adding a new track or bus is a significant action.

> In many other DAWs, if I select a region and drag it in an area of the
> multitrack view where there are no tracks, a new track is automatically
> created. From my point of view, it is a useful thing that quicken the
> workflow in some situations.

ardour does the same thing if you DnD an external file but its true
that it doesn't do this with a region drag. it probably should, and
its more likely to do so if you could file a feature request in the
bug tracker.