[Ardour-Dev] connecting to a non-default jack server

fons at kokkinizita.net fons at kokkinizita.net
Thu Jun 24 16:16:40 PDT 2010

On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 06:41:57PM -0400, Paul Davis wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 5:55 PM,  <fons at kokkinizita.net> wrote:
> > A simple question:
> >
> > how can one make ardour (2.8.9) connect to a non-default jack server ?
>
> neither ardour2 nor ardour3 has any way to do this. you're actually
> the first person I recall asking for this feature.

During the past months using 2 or 3 jackd at the same time
has become quite a routine thing here. The context is testing
soundcards: one of them is being tested, and at the same time
some others are being used as signal generators or analysers.
And thanks to Rui's efforts running a qjackctl for each of
them is now possible without pain.

If you have multiple soundcards (each one a preset in qjackctl)
and some of them could be used together, the natural thing to do
is to give each of them its own server name - the last thing
you'd want is to have a multiple server names for the same card.

That in turn means that apps should not assume that the server
name is 'default'. All my own apps are being modified to allow
an explicit jackd server name.

Since jackd and ardour are from the same stable, I'm surprised
to see that one of them supports an (essential) option while the
other seems to ignore its existence.

If no-one is supposed to use non-default jack server names then
the option to create them should be removed. In the other case
all apps should allow to select a server.

Ciao,

--
FA

O tu, che porte, correndo si ?