[Ardour-Dev] ardour as audio backend

Evan Laforge qdunkan at gmail.com
Sun Jul 25 20:04:22 PDT 2010

On Sun, Jul 25, 2010 at 6:28 PM, Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 25, 2010 at 9:24 PM, Ryan Scott <ryan at vicarious-living.com> wrote:
>> A scripting or plugin layer to Ardour would facilitate projects like this
>> well, but I imagine that's an extremely low priority at the moment.  As a
>> bit of background Evan, Ardour 3 includes some rather substantial reworking
>> (as far as I understand it) and has made the transition from 2 rather
>> difficult as they're sort of inherently different.  So until 3 is out I
>> doubt much of anything else would get any focus.

Sure, I don't expect this to be any kind of priority, and I fully
expect to do the work myself.  That's totally reasonable.  I think I
can do it in a pretty non-invasive way, but if you guys say "sorry,
we're in feature freeze, if it's not a bugfix we don't want it" then I
understand that too.  I would just hope that eventually someone would
be willing to review it and check it in because maintaining a patch
against ardour would be a hassle.

This is all provided this scheme of mine actually works of course.  I
think it should work, but I'm very far from a grizzled old audio
veteran.

> torben hohn did manage to wrap *all* of ardour in python, with a
> little manual intervention in what was a mostly automated process. the
> result was huge, but he did end up with a python script that loaded a
> session into itself and started playing!

I think this is interesting, but overkill for what I want.  The
"remote control" I'm thinking of is really pretty simple, the most
complicated part is to tell ardour to load such and such a plugin,
configure it such and such a way, and ship MIDI from such and such a
port to it.  If that can be done with menus in the GUI then my
understanding is that I can already do it with OSC.