[Ardour-Dev] ardour as audio backend

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Sat Jul 24 16:02:20 PDT 2010

On Sat, Jul 24, 2010 at 4:37 PM, Evan Laforge <qdunkan at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi!  Sorry in advance about the huge first message.  I could stop by the irc
> channel but I think something with this level of detail would just swamp
> people.

yeah, this was way too long. i think i've extracted about the only
question i can usefully answer out of it.

the build system for ardour3 is certainly NOT something that excludes
OS X. but ... none of us enjoy developing on OS X and as a result,
nobody has yet built a3 on OS X. its not impossible, and will become
"mainstream" once 3.0-beta1 is released, which will require that at
least i do an OS X build myself.

the build instructions on the website are indeed out of date. i have
some newer ones - the process with respect to GTK has gotten a
*little* easier, though overall its still a pretty nightmarish one.
i'll try to post them on the website soon.

as a broader comment, i think that it would be MUCH more useful to
talk about your ideas on sequencing to see if you could usefully work
on ardour3's MIDI capabilities.

bidirectional OSC is a nightmare that you should probably not
investigate further. the protocol is inherently unsuited to this.