[Ardour-Dev] ardour as audio backend

Harry Van Haaren harryhaaren at gmail.com
Sat Jul 24 15:55:29 PDT 2010

On Sat, Jul 24, 2010 at 11:24 PM, Evan Laforge <qdunkan at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes, I'm aware.  But... I wanna do it my way!  If I was happy with
> existing sequencers approaches to sequencing I'd save myself the
> bother of writing my own :)

Fair point. I do belive that I'm currently working on a large project quite
similar to yours.. ;-)

> 3: I (as a user now) would prefer to have a nice standalone MIDI seq, than
> > one that 1/2 leans on Ardour as I don't use Ardour in the sequencing
> stage
> > of my projects.
>
> It works just fine standalone, but if I want to do the three things I
> was talking about, then of course I need to cooperate with a DAW.

True, and I'm glad that there's still the "standalone" option. :-)

> > Have you released the sources? I'd be intrested in building it...? I'm on
> > linux though, I gather your on a Mac. Has testing been done on a linux
> box?
>
> I estimate another 6 months to 1 year before it's in a generally
> useful state, and I'll certainly release source then.  No testing on
> linux so far, but the GUI kit is cross platform (originally X11
> oriented but also runs on OS X and even windows), and I plan on making
> sure it works on linux before a release.  I probably just have to
> write an alsa midi backend.

Ok.. I'll be patient for a while then... If your going to use your own
scheduler, I can advise using
RtMidi, its a cross platform real-time MIDI I/O C++ library, that's quite a
pleasure to use IMO.
Of course, do what you want ;-)

Good luck, -Harry