[Ardour-Dev] video timeline patch testing

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Tue Jul 20 06:08:01 PDT 2010

Now that I have this patch running here I have a better idea of what the
potential is.

Apart from the obvious inevitable requests for multitrack video editing
in ardour which I think the current approach will make realtively
modular when the time comes there is also the question of having another
app, for example, blender rendering the video at the same time it is
being worked on in ardour. I know there is the jack transport sync in
the latest blender which solves a lot of the issues but there is also
the possibility that someone will like to have ardour
videotimeline+xjadeo running at the same time as a blender session.

The question I have is how difficult would it be to make the timeline
auto refresh when changes are made to the video file from an external
program?

I realise it is an awkward issue but I do see some potential for making
peoples lives easier if this case is handled gracefully.

So does the timeline autorefresh or is that something that is on/off the
roadmap? Reasons for/against could be helpful for determining how useful
this would be.

In terms of usability for non technical types I see it as a no brainer
but in terms of implementation hassles I'm not sure of the requirements.

Clearly it's not a high priority but it would be pretty cool to show off
with ;-)

Cheers.

--
Patrick Shirkey