[Ardour-Dev] portugese (and other) translators .... important question

Chris Ross chris at tebibyte.org
Wed Jan 20 01:52:30 PST 2010

On 01/20/2010 09:30 AM, Rui Nuno Capela wrote:
> i tend to agree that portuguese (pt_PT) and brazilian (pt_BR) are two
> _different_ languages, although sharing one same trunk (archaic xv century
> portuguese) both forms have been drifting apart on all parameters: lexical,
> syntactical, grammatical and phonetically. so you cannot say in complete
> exactitude that one is just a dialect form of the other. they're different
> branches already. perhaps, european portuguese (pt_PT) have evolved through
> modern age ways while brazilian (pt_BR) still is the most resemblant to
> portuguese as it was spoken 5 centuries ago.

Getting a bit off topic! Is it /really/ that different to say en_GB and
en_US? Personally I don't think so. I also disagree that Brazilian
Portuguese has stuck in the C16th. It has evolved significantly, brought
in many influences (indigenous languages for example) that European
Portuguese hasn't. Basically though, the accent is different, spelling
is altered somewhat and there are a few different words for the same
things. Just like the variants of English in fact.

> i suggest LANG=pt should lead to pt_BR translation as default. if one
> really wants the european form, assume it explicitly with LANG=pt_PT .

OK, then I change my vote and support making pt_BR the default. There
are many more speakers, and so I assume Ardour users, for Brazilian
Portuguese.

Regards,
Chris R.