[Ardour-Dev] ardour sessions and write permissions

Fri Sep 25 11:03:37 PDT 2009

On Fri, 2009-09-25 at 00:15 -0700, Don Fredricks wrote:
> Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> > Why does ardour need write permissions to the session if I just want to
> > play something (no editing, nothing) and I'm not the owner? Is this
> > something fixable?
>
> I've attached a patch (against current SVN 2.0-ongoing) that should allow
> such a session to load. I do not know whether it has any untoward side
> effects. I doubt that the read/write permission checks are being done
> without a good reason.
>
> This is only a quick and dirty fix; a real solution to the problem will
> require more effort. However, if it works, I'd say the problem is most
> likely fixable.
>
> Don

Thanks!!

It does work, sort of. I'm able to play the session which is the
important part, but I also get a few errors on startup:

----
[ERROR]: SndFileSource: cannot open file
"/audio/pieces/turenas/turenas/interchange/turenas/audiofiles/Turenas_LF_48-2.wav" for read+write (Syst
em error.)
[ERROR]: Turenas-LF-48:0 new capture file not initialized correctly
[ERROR]: SndFileSource: cannot open file
"/audio/pieces/turenas/turenas/interchange/turenas/audiofiles/Turenas_LR_48-2.wav" for read+write (Syst
em error.)
[ERROR]: Turenas-LR-48:0 new capture file not initialized correctly
[ERROR]: SndFileSource: cannot open file
"/audio/pieces/turenas/turenas/interchange/turenas/audiofiles/Turenas_RF_48-2.wav" for read+write (Syst
em error.)
[ERROR]: Turenas-RF-48:0 new capture file not initialized correctly
[ERROR]: SndFileSource: cannot open file
"/audio/pieces/turenas/turenas/interchange/turenas/audiofiles/Turenas_RR_48-2.wav" for read+write (Syst
em error.)
[ERROR]: Turenas-RR-48:0 new capture file not initialized correctly
[ERROR]: Error: could not
write /audio/pieces/turenas/turenas//instant.xml
----

After dismissing the error ardour seems to be operational (at least for
playback, did not try anything else).

-- Fernando