[Ardour-Dev] SuperRapidScreenUpdates are neither rapid, nor super.

John Emmas johne53 at tiscali.co.uk
Sun Mar 8 09:56:46 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Fons Adriaensen"
Subject: Re: [Ardour-Dev] SuperRapidScreenUpdates are neither rapid,nor
super.

> It shouldn't be a CPU hog. Yass (scrolling scope) running
> full-screen, 100 updates/second, 24 tracks and a zoom
> level already to high to be useful generates 3% (total
> CPU load) on my seven year old hardware.

You're doing pretty well, Fons.  On both my systems 'X' alone seems to use
more than that!!  Here are my performance figures reported by  htop.  They
make interesting reading but I'm not quite sure what they say!!

Desktop m/c (1.2GHz, single processor) running Ardour 2.4.1
'Moving playhead' mode:
X = 10% with Ardour in Play mode (3.9% when idle)
Ardour = Main thread - 26%, 2 other threads 2%-3% ea.
Others (jack etc) 5% (total CPU usage = 46%)

'Moving timeline' mode:
X = 22% with Ardour in Play mode (3.9% when idle)
Ardour = Main thread - 40%, 2 other threads 2%-3% ea.
Others (jack etc) 5% (total CPU usage = 72%)

Laptop m/c (1.8GHz, single processor) running Ardour 2.6
'Moving playhead' mode:
X = 6% with Ardour in Play mode (3.3% when idle)
Ardour = Main thread - 23%, 2 other threads 1%-2% ea,
Others (jack etc) 4% (total CPU usage = 38%)

'Moving timeline' mode:
X = 8.5% with Ardour in Play mode (3.3% when idle)
Ardour = Main thread - 82%, 2 other threads 1%-2% ea,
Others (jack etc) 4.5% (total CPU usage = 100%)

The above figures are with Ardour and Htop as the only two desktop apps
running and with Ardour replaying the same section of the same session on
both machines.

What's interesting is that the more powerful machine is running 2.6 but
whilst it's pretty comfortable in Moving Playhead mode, it's struggling
greatly in Moving Timeline mode.  The less powerful machine is running 2.4.1
but seems to be coping well in both modes.  Does that shed any light on the
problem Paul, or does it just confuse the issue?

John