[Ardour-Dev] build system, libs, cmdline

Andreas Degert ad at papyrus-gmbh.de
Mon Jan 26 01:54:33 PST 2009

On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 10:18:13 +0100
Jérémy Zurcher <jeremy at asynk.ch> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm using ardour with my band to record some ideas while we are on
> rehersal. It's great to have such a software running on linux.
>
> This week-end I wanted to add cmdline options like:
>     -t default_template_file
>     -d working_directory

Since I'm using ardour for the same purpose I'd like those options too.
Version 2.X of ardour is in feature freeze, so it might be difficult to
get those changes into the official version and it would be nice to
supply a patch for version 3 too...

> and add something like a textual description field in the project,
> being able to read it before opening the project would be a plus.

Would this go into a separate (xml-)file in the project directory? Then
maybe it could be opened and displayed in a preview box in the
open-dialog. This seems to be a lot more work than the cmdline options
because the user must also be able to supply that description for a new
session and to change it later.

> but I've been asking myself questions about the *mm libs :
>     - why are they embended in the source tree
>     - are they modified versions
>     - are we tied to a specific version
>     - if so, can't we perform version check in the configure process

My understanding is that ardour needs a newer version than those
supplied by most distributions. Of course that changes over time... I
think the scons configuration needs some love :-)

ciao
Andreas Degert