[Ardour-Dev] funding priorities

Josh Parmenter josh at realizedsound.net
Sun Jan 25 18:42:46 PST 2009

I would be willing to help out with nightly binary OS X native builds.
I could do both PPC and Intel if they can be hosted at ardour.org

Best,

Josh

On Jan 25, 2009, at 6:28 PM, Patrick Shirkey wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Here's an update of the list for people to chew on.
>
> ++++++++++
>
> 1: Grants
> 2: Mantis integration with website
> 3: Fundraiser
> 4: Mantis/website integration with Ardour interface: rss feed/
> ticker, embedded browser
> 5: Donate header on website
> 6: Made with Ardour CD
> 7: Ardour Live boot CD
> 8: Paid for SVN
> 9: Paid License to: disable crippled interface, Get access to more
> features, Disable RSS ticker
> 10: Glossy brochure for trade shows
> 11: Advertising in industry magazines
> 12: Celebrity endorsement
> 13: Approaching State run media companies with Ardour as a industry
> grade product.
> 14: Funding from a well resourced Patron
> 15: Funding from a Company in the entertainment/media business
> 16: More subscriptions
> 17: Subscriptions at different rates
> 18: Port to windows
> 19: Official vst support. Seperate binary plugin for sale via
> ardour.org
> 20: Nightly binary builds
> 21: LV2 plugin set with well designed guis
> 22: Alternate payment gateway.
> 23: Donate to Ardour button
> 24: Build and sell custom built PC's and related stuff online
> 25: Paid support at ardour.org
> ++++++++
>

> 1) earn money with services, not with software
>
> - payed support
> - giving lectures | about using ardour | about writing audio software
>
>  1.  subscription: For the advances hobbyist/small business
> professional. A
> monthly fee without obligations, but for a lot of good karma.
>  2. fan gear: Micropayment shares from spreadshirt.net (for europe)
> and
> zazzle.com (u.s.)
>         * create european mirror for ardour
>         * create shop in spreadshirt.net
>  3. institutional deals: installations in universities, educational
> institutes, etc. Comes with support.
>         * create list of institutions already using ardour
>         * create list of institutions to contact
>         * organize campus tours
>  4. professional deals: individual/company setups with support
>  5. charge for precompiled packages, e.g. for OS X
>  6. corporate deals: Preinstalled systems/appliances
>

> 2) Change licences, commercial version, for example:
>
> - Linux version is GPL and free
> - make a payed version for Mac (and Windows)
> - Make a free demo version (SAE-version?) for Mac (and Windows)
>
> 3) Make contracts with hardware suppliers
>
> 4) Helping ICT students
>
> - payed assistantship  (e.g. students can take part in the dev
> process and pay Paul as a teacher (maybe the paying can be done by
> ICT schools and universities?)
>
> 5) Educate talented software programmers:
>
> - Let talented developers take part in the Ardour team and give them
> [...]

/* Joshua D. Parmenter
http://www.realizedsound.net/josh/

“Every composer – at all times and in all cases – gives his own
interpretation of how modern society is structured: whether actively
or passively, consciously or unconsciously, he makes choices in this
regard. He may be conservative or he may subject himself to continual
renewal; or he may strive for a revolutionary, historical or social
palingenesis." - Luigi Nono
*/