[Ardour-Dev] Funding: Build and Sell Hardware

Quentin Harley qharley at wbs.co.za
Thu Jan 22 21:38:54 PST 2009

Patrick Shirkey wrote:

> Does anyone know of any other companies offering this kind of service
> specifically for the studio market?

I was contacted for information surrounding studio systems around a year
ago by a Durban based company, but I have not heard from them since.

I suppose the Idea that you have to have certain DAW's running to be
"pro" is our main competitor in this field.

The only way to break this cycle is to work on the session compatibility
between the different DAW's and Ardour.  A Studio may have a couple of
rooms, each running ardour for the recording, and the old system would
be ProTools, Logic, Nuendo etc.  I would not be surprised if the old
system gets replaced by and ardour install after a while.  People are in
the studio game to make money, and when ardour can perform the same or
better, while costing significantly less (like nothing + optional
support fees) it should be a winner.  We just need to build the brand first.