[Ardour-Dev] Licensing and enforced payments

Thomas Vecchione seablaede at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 05:12:11 PST 2009

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 6:51 AM, Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey at boosthardware.com
> wrote:

> That Paul should not be able to make a reasonable income from Ardour
> because it offends a couple of Linux guys who can very easily disable the
> suggested functionality.

You know, this is probably the closest you have come to making sense
parroting this line.  Literally you are starting to sound like the US
politicians I hate that always parrot, "Won't somebody think of the
children?!!" to get their way, because if you don't support their idea you
hate all babies and eat them for breakfast.  Likewise you are thinking that
because some people put a value on ideals, they obviously hate Paul and want
him to leave Ardour or have his family suffer, which is so far from the
truth it is ridiculous.

Let me see if I can place it another way.  Ardour is a project I am happy to
be involved with, use, and support both financially and with my time, as my
situation allows in either case.  I would much rather give my money to an
open source project that also agrees with my ideals, than to give it to a
closed source project, that while it may be technically more capable does
not really meet my ideals.  It is for this reason I have never bought Logic
despite having considered it multiple times.  It is this reason I never
bothered upgrading ProTools several years ago.  I would rather that money go
to Ardour if I have it, because I would rather support the open source
ideal.  I do not believe myself to be alone, as has likely been evidenced by
people posting to this topic.

Doing something that violates those ideals in favor of making money means I
have less of a reason to believe this.  Does it mean I will stop using or
supporting Ardour?  I don't know, it probably depends on what happens.  Some
people might.  But that is why things like you have suggested I am against,
because I feel it does violate the ideals that I place a value on.  I hope
Paul is more than aware that this does not mean that I am unconcerned about
his or his families well being.  This certainly does not mean that.  It does
mean though that if there are other options open to support Paul and his
work on Ardour that I would much rather spend time and energy on those
instead of pointless political debates.  This is why I have cut back on my
said what I feel needs to be said, Paul is aware of my opinion for whatever
little it is worth, and he can make a decision as he sees fit, it is time to
move on and get stuff done instead of pointless political flamebait
arguments.

So on to other topics and moving forward with fundraising ideas that are
much less controversial.

          Seablade