[Ardour-Dev] Licensing and enforced payments

Jan Stary hans at stare.cz
Thu Jan 22 02:47:32 PST 2009

> In addition we could make it plainly obvious that if you want compile
> the code yourself you can disable the License feature.

The subscription page already makes it pretty obvious
that you don't have to donate/subsribe.

> We could take a leaf out of Radioheads book and make the License cost as
> much as the user wants to give.

The donation system already lets you donate as much as you want.

> This would at least force more people to visit the donations page and in
> the process see that there is a subscription and donation system in place.

There are five shiny buttons on the homepage,
saying subscribe/donate; don't people see them?

> At the very least it would generate some more
> awareness about the funding issue.

"Generating awareness" is web pages' job.
Recording and mixing tracks is ardour's job.

In short: nothing new would be achieved by introducing such
a licensing scheme, except needlessly bending the apllication.

	Jan