[Ardour-Dev] Funding: Build and Sell Hardware

John Rigg arddev at sound-man.co.uk
Wed Jan 21 12:55:23 PST 2009

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 04:09:19AM +0700, Hans Baier wrote:
> Take expresscard, put in a number of ICE1712
> and some nice DAC/ADC together with a MIDI chip,
> (perhaps make it modular to being able to add more ICEs, if needed),
> find someone in China, Malaysia (or I can find one here in Indonesia)
> who assembles it.

The way things are going, only the low end of the market (ie. people
who don't use DAWs) will be using PCI/PCIe cards with built in
converters before long.

For low channel counts (8 or less) firewire is taking over.
For higher channel counts everyone will be using digital
interface cards and external converters. It's already happening.

John