[Ardour-Dev] Funding: Build and Sell Hardware

John Rigg arddev at sound-man.co.uk
Wed Jan 21 12:41:09 PST 2009

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 04:09:19AM +0700, Hans Baier wrote:
> My idea is building a piece of hardware like that:
>
> Take expresscard, put in a number of ICE1712
> and some nice DAC/ADC together with a MIDI chip,
> (perhaps make it modular to being able to add more ICEs, if needed),
> find someone in China, Malaysia (or I can find one here in Indonesia)
> who assembles it.

The ice1712 cards like the M-Audio Deltas work well with Linux,
but they are getting decidedly old now, and there are better
things available for not much more money. I don't think it
would be wise to assume anything about their continued availability
(especially as old-style PCI slots are gradually disappearing from
motherboards).

John