[Ardour-Dev] Funding: Build and Sell Hardware

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Wed Jan 21 00:39:46 PST 2009

Quentin Harley wrote:
> Patrick Shirkey wrote:
>> And sell them via the Ardour online store?
>>
>> We are talking about a major commitment to put this all together but
>> it definitely has some merit.
>>
>> Running an online store is a full time job. Developing and
>> maintaining an online store is a full time job.
>
> Virtuemart
Or amazon, ebay, zencart, drupal extensions etc... Running an online
shop is a 24 hour a day job because unlike a real brick and mortar the
internet is never closed. It also requires a constant development effort
to keep the site up to date and interesting for customers to revisit.
There is a lot of graphical work required which is on short supply round
here. When people purchase online these days they expect a quick turn
around and anything less makes people annoyed, nervous and frustrated
which is a real pita to deal with in support.

If all these issues can be managed then an online shop is a real
business and can expect to generate income.

Maybe we should have a worldwide network to cut down on shipping costs?
We standardize on hardware and cost and work together with dev and
support for the common goal?

>> Building and shipping pre configured machines is a full time job.
>
> Boost hardware?  Harley Studio Systems?

Linux Audio Systems too. There are a few companies that have aimed for
this but no one seems to have pulled it off yet.

>> Maintaining a distro is a full time job for 2 people.
>
> 64 Studio.com  Their core business is creating and maintaining bespoke
> linux distributions.

But do they want to work on a distro specifically for this purpose? What
would it take to make it worth their while?

>> Developing Ardour is a full time job (or 5).
>
> Lets clone Paul - No matter what the American Government think about
> it...

This has been suggested before, many times. With the new focus on
science we may have a better chance to puling it off.

>> We need at least 5 committed parties to make this happen or else
>> someone is going to have to be drinking a lot of red bull. I can get
>> a good supply of the most powerful stuff here in Thailand but I don't
>> drink it myself.
>>

> Red bull is a bedtime drink for me - doesn't work anymore

You definitely aren't drinking the original made in Thailand stuff then.
It's much closer to pure amphetamines than the export version.

Cheers.

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd.