[Ardour-Dev] Ardour CD's

Ben Bell bjb-ardour-dev at deus.net
Tue Jan 20 01:59:30 PST 2009

On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 11:49:35AM +0700, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
> I agree that it will be useful. Someone else has mentioned that it should not
> be available for free though. This would be another way to make some money.
Yes, that seems reasonable in principle though we'd want to avoid
seeming to only fix bugs for/reply to people who used a paid for
version.

Something requiring more work and perhaps investment would be
pre-installed ardour setups with this distribution and good hardware.
I'm not sure how easy it would be to manage.

On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 07:31:32AM +0200, Quentin Harley wrote:
> The 64 Studio 3.0 "alpha" is such an distribution at the moment.  It
I should check it out at some point but don't want to upgrade my
currently stable studio from the 2.1 (?) release. But yes, either this
or a customised version of this.
My worry is that we don't want to end up confusing studio-folk with e.g.
rosegarden, blender et al too, so strip the distribution down to
something that really is ardour, plugins and utils.

> only problem with this is exactly the same as with ardour
> itself.  There are so many excellent free distributions out there, and
> some already "just works".
Which means that Linux techies and the like probably won't buy it. But
if we're targetting studios and we have a really simple, low barrier to
entry thing then that /will/ be worth money to them. Tell a studio
engineer they can have a free protools-alike if they do the dirty work
of installing, consulting the forums and so on and they'll tell you
exactly how much that sort of down-time will cost them. Tell them they
can buy one installed and ready with support and it will be a different
fettle of kish entirely.

> Also it is hard to get paid support when the community essentially
> solves most of its problems itself.
Well if I was doing this full time I'd certainly consider paying to have
My Bugs looked at first. I get the feeling we don't have that sort of
developer time available right now but I do think there is scope for
charging for the extra support someone using this daily to make their
living would require.

bjb

--
+-----Ben Bell - "A song, a perl script and the occasional silly sig.-----+