[Ardour-Dev] Ardour CD's

Quentin Harley qharley at wbs.co.za
Mon Jan 19 21:31:32 PST 2009

Patrick Shirkey wrote:
> Ben Bell wrote:
>>
>> We could do this ourselves or with the help of CCRMA, 64studio or
>> whatever but IMHO it ought to be very much a cut-down distribution that
>> was just ardour related stuff with only plugins that work.

The 64 Studio 3.0 "alpha" is such an distribution at the moment.  It is
truly ardour centric, but could use some more plug-ins and suggestions
at the moment.  If you would like to contribute to the proposed package
content of this new version of 64 studio (for 64bit & 32 bit
architectures) please do it on the 3.0 wish-list forum page:

http://www.64studio.com/node/885

>> It would be useful for users to have an installation of ardour that
>> we knew
>> was configured correctly and for us to have something of a focal point
>> for the development. "This is the Studio Release of Ardour. Feel free to
>> install you distribution's version or build your own, but if you want to
>> build a system from scratch around Ardour, here's how we recommend you
>> do it."
>>

> I agree that it will be useful. Someone else has mentioned that it
> should not be available for free though. This would be another way to
> make some money.

This is a better idea.  You can charge money for a Distrubution with
support...  only problem with this is exactly the same as with ardour
itself.  There are so many excellent free distributions out there, and
some already "just works".  Also it is hard to get paid support when the
community essentially solves most of its problems itself.  Selling a
Distro is also not a viable option - see what happened to Studio to Go :-\

Seems we will have to think outside a lot of boxes to solve the
financial question (my own included ;-) )