[Ardour-Dev] Website upgrades

Thomas Vecchione seablaede at gmail.com
Mon Jan 19 22:24:38 PST 2009

Its not web or database for what I was referring to.  As you have already
said, shopping cart systems and taking people's money is easy.  Showing
responsible usage of that money is another ball of wax that leaves the realm
of strictly programming.

Let me try to give an example....

In my ideal world, when people make a pledge for a feature, it would allow
for the pledge to be held ina  third party account that would not be touched
by either party until the work is done or the feature request is rejected
for some reason, with the money falling back on either party at that point.
It is this third party account that would be unrelated to the coding of such
a system, and much more to do with banking.

Now to be honest that is going to be an ideal world I personally never to
see.  I think the honor pledge works well enough for Ardour, and likely many
people would prefer such a system, and I don't have any significant hangup
on using it either.  Likewise paying to individual developers gets handled
by Paul IIRC, which would stay the same either way, but still requires work
outside of programming, namely getting information to pay to etc. as well as
paying to it.  So in either case, you are doing one of two things, either
coordinating for direct payments to the developers, which I don't know of a
system off hand that would handle payments to multiple parties like that
very well(For example a one time developers comes in, submits a patch to fix
a bug, much less if multiple developers are working on a feature or bug at
the same time), or you are dealing with a centralized account,a nd ahve
someone in the background that has to handle all the accounting side of
things to pay the developers.  The latter is the current method with Paul
handling it as it is, which to be honest is probably the better method until
situations change.

Again all this is my own opinion, but it has more to do with than just the
programming side of things.

          Seablade