[Ardour-Dev] Licensing and enforced payments

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Mon Jan 19 21:54:48 PST 2009

Quentin Harley wrote:
> Thomas Vecchione wrote:
>> To be honest, we have already beaten this to death in the original
>> thread, so I won't rehash the debate here, other than to say I am
>> personally against both of those.
>
> I also have to vote against (if my vote is worth anything)
>
> If ardour 3.0 is going to "crippled" in any way, I would be happy to
> stay with 2.x until the cripple ardour idea failed and became
> uncrippled again ;-)

IMO the people on this list are not the target of the proposed License
"features". So if they, like you chose to stay with 2.0 it wouldn't make
much impact to the bottom line. I'm sure they would be vocal about their
choice and I can imagine some would even consider actively campaigning
for the demise of Ardour.

Voting against a simple way for Ardour to make some cash is effectively
saying to Paul that you don't really care if he is part of Ardour
development any longer.

Instead we should be fine tuning the concept so that it is more
palatable for everyone.

There are supposedly thousands of people who are using Ardour who don't
contribute in any way shape or form. If they did we would surely know
about them.

There are many compromises in life and when you've got to choose between
your kids education, retirement and health insurance among other things
compared to the self absorbed feelings of a few rowdy Linux users the
choice is fairly simple.