[Ardour-Dev] funding priorities

Jörn Nettingsmeier nettings at stackingdwarves.net
Mon Jan 19 14:46:15 PST 2009

Mike Taht wrote:
>> Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey at boosthardware.com> wrote:
>     8: Paid for SVN
>

> Pointless and counterproductive. (besides, I'd like a switch to git)
>

>     9: Paid License to: disable crippled interface, Get access to more
>     features, Disable RSS ticker
>

> This incrementalism would help in the short term and hurt in the long term.
<snip>

> I rather think that all of 8 and most of 9 are not feasible and will
> result in another endless pointless licensing discussion.

i agree with mike that both point 8 and 9 are totally pointless and
misguided.

how can a free software project be fostered by methods that are the
essence of closed-software PITA?

for the sake of everyone's time, let's not discuss such ideas further.
if i want nag screens, stupid arbitrary limitations and an altogether
unpleasing user experience, i can buy a soundcard with bundled "share
ware" or cubase LE or whatnot today. i don't need ardour for that.

the moment ardour takes this path, it's obsolete, and the community will
disintegrate.

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier

Verantwortlicher für Veranstaltungstechnik

Audio and event engineer
Ambisonic surround recordings

nettings at stackingdwarves.net
+49 177 7937487