[Ardour-Dev] funding priorities

Sean Corbett seanbutnotheard at gmail.com
Mon Jan 19 08:19:39 PST 2009

I just got done tracking with a band who I could probably convince to
allow one of their tracks to be included on the "Made with Ardour CD",
as they are fairly Linux-minded folk (I've installed and customized
Ubuntu for three of the guys).  Assuming they're OK with it, I'll post
one somewhere for review when we're satisfied with the mix.

One idea that I had that was sort-of covered here, is setting up a
"commercial level subscription", i.e., if you're making money with
Ardour, you should be paying for it.  This could make Ardour's
licensing get a bit hairier, but I've seen a few products do a
GPL-with-commercial-exception type approach before.  Unfortunately I
suspect it would adversely affect Ardour's inclusion in at least some
of the major studio distros, and might force the devs to build
"official" .debs and/or rpms (like the LinuxSampler team does).

Additionally, I wouldn't mind seeing higher priority given to feature
requests and bug reports made by subscribers, especially if commercial
subscriptions were to be implemented (an application of the
paying-for-support idea).  Also, I bet a lot of people would be
willing to pay for "official" VST support, though there could still be
experimental/build-it-yourself free support.  It would have to be a
separate, proprietary add-on, a download available from the "Ardour
store".  And I imagine a dev other than Paul would be the one to
provide it. :)  Perhaps license it from the Muse Receptor folks?

--
Sean Corbett
http://blacktownsound.com