[Ardour-Dev] funding priorities

John Emmas johne53 at tiscali.co.uk
Mon Jan 19 08:09:33 PST 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "schoappied"
Subject: Re: [Ardour-Dev] funding priorities

> Florian Faber wrote:
>>
>> Not a good idea. GPL is GPL stays GPL.
>>
> The makers of the software having the right to release their software with
> the license they want...
>
> You could think of a GPL license for use with GPL software, e.g. in Linux
> and another license for the use with proprietary software e.g. Mac and
> Windows.

Sadly, I don't think it's that simple.  The GPL license states that if you
"derive" any part of an application from GPL source code and you distribute
that application, you must distribute your own source code under the same
(GPL) licensing terms.

You may include *somebody else's* code under a different license (e.g. I've
seen many programs where parts of it are GPL and other parts are LGPL)
but any parts you wrote yourself must be GPL.  Furthermore, you can't have
a different license for different users, nor for different platforms AFAIK.
The only possible exception might be if your application links dynamically
to a GPL library and simply "uses" that library's functionality without
extending it or deriving from it.  That's my understanding, anyway.

John