[Ardour-Dev] funding priorities

Florian Faber faber at faberman.de
Mon Jan 19 07:11:26 PST 2009

schoappied,

> I miss:
>
> 1) earn money with services, not with software
>
> - payed support
> - giving lectures | about using ardour | about writing audio software

This would also give the ardour community a possibility to earn something (and
give something to the ardour 'foundation'), yes. I thought about it some time
ago, too, and these were my findings:

   1.  subscription: For the advances hobbyist/small business professional. A
monthly fee without obligations, but for a lot of good karma.
   2. fan gear: Micropayment shares from spreadshirt.net (for europe) and
zazzle.com (u.s.)
          * create european mirror for ardour
          * create shop in spreadshirt.net
   3. institutional deals: installations in universities, educational
institutes, etc. Comes with support.
          * create list of institutions already using ardour
          * create list of institutions to contact
          * organize campus tours
   4. professional deals: individual/company setups with support
   5. charge for precompiled packages, e.g. for OS X
   6. corporate deals: Preinstalled systems/appliances

> 2) Change licences, commercial version, for example:
>
> - Linux version is GPL and free
> - make a payed version for Mac (and Windows)
> - Make a free demo version (SAE-version?) for Mac (and Windows)

Not a good idea. GPL is GPL stays GPL.

The other problem is to keep the people interested. The number of downloads
doesn't correspond to the number of users, somehow.

Flo
--
Machines can do the work, so people have time to think.
public key 6C002249          x-hkp://wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net