[Ardour-Dev] configuration woes on OpenBSD

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Fri Jan 16 08:44:59 PST 2009

On Fri, 2009-01-16 at 16:13 +0100, Jan Stary wrote:
> On Jan 15 16:04:07, Hans Baier wrote:
> > > Then it complains about not being able to find MIDI.
> > > Currently scons only seems to support ALSA and OS X MIDI....
>
> OpenBSD has a native midi(4) and OSS-compatible sequencer(4).
> How much does Ardour care about what MIDI implementation
> it is using? How difficult would it be to make ardour (able to)
> use OpenBSD's native MIDI instead of the ALSA MIDI?

fairly trivial. libmidi++ supports both ALSA sequencer-based MIDI ports,
but ALSA raw MIDI ports. These are in turn derived from a base class
called "FdMidiPort, which can represent any type of MIDI port that is
just a file in the filesystem. It could be "/dev/midi00",
"/dev/snd/midiC0D0p" or "/path/to/my/special/FIFO".

in fact, leaving things as they are should enable you to define a port
like this:

	  <MIDI-port tag="control" device="/dev/midi00" type="fifo"
mode="duplex"/>

and it might work as-is.

> > Now I modified the SCons* files
>
> Should I be working on the current SVN code?

2.X is in feature freeze. 3.X is the "current" target for development
work. I don't know if Hans committed his OpenBSD-related changes into
svn or not.

Your changes to the SCons* files are not really correct. The problems
come from the fact that SCons works hard to ignore your existing
environment variables. This is why there is a function in SConstruct
call prep_checklib (IIRC) which is there specifically to reset certain
variables for *all* configuration checks so that include sensible
settings that SCons has discarded. It could be done even better. I would
make sure that prep_checklib is being called at the right time & place.