[Ardour-Dev] Fwd: Re: configuration woes on OpenBSD

Jan Stary hans at stare.cz
Fri Jan 16 07:07:13 PST 2009

(Forgot to Cc: the list, sorry)

----- Forwarded message from Jan Stary <hans at stare.cz> -----

Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 16:03:40 +0100
From: Jan Stary <hans at stare.cz>
To: Hans Baier <hansfbaier at googlemail.com>
Subject: Re: [Ardour-Dev] configuration woes on OpenBSD

On Jan 15 15:35:10, Hans Baier wrote:
> # Help OpenBSD find fftw
> if config[config_kernel] == 'openbsd4.4':
>         env.Append(CPPPATH="/usr/local/include", LIBPATH="/usr/local/lib")

But why is it needed here, and not needed when doing this?

	Checking for C header file fftw3.h... yes

Looking in SConstruct, the difference seems to be that the first

	conf.CheckHeader ('fftw3.h')

is (immediately) preceded by

	conf = Configure(libraries['fftw3'])

wheras the second check is preceded by

	conf = Configure (env)

Why is that?

Replacing

	conf = Configure (env)

with

	conf = Configure(libraries['fftw3'])

seems to get rid of the problem; would this be the right solution?
(I have never used scons before.)

> then it complains about not being able to find liblo.
> I turned that off with scons LIBLO=0
> (OSC is not essential for running ardour)

I just solved that with adding the line

libraries['lo'].Append(CPPPATH="/usr/local/include", LIBPATH="/usr/local/lib ")

before conf.CheckLib ('lo', 'lo_server_new'),
inspired by the same being done for 'boost' a few lines above.
Now liblo is correctly detected. But again, I am not sure if
this is the right solution, or if it should be needed to repeat
the "/usr/local/..." addendum for each and every library.
Perhaps a better way (unknown to me) would be to tell
scons to always look for lib and headers in /usr/local, too.

> Then it complains about not being able to find MIDI.

The exact error message on my machine is

Checking for C header file /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreMIDI.framework/Headers/CoreMIDI.h... no

Does that mean that this whole path is hardwired into SConstruct?
Yes it is, which seems strange to me. Why can't we just

	conf.CheckCHeader('CoreMIDI.h')

while having /System/Library/Frameworks among the include dirs
(in analogy to having /usr/local/include in the previous cases)?

> Currently scons only seems to support ALSA and OS X MIDI....

I don't understand what "scons supports ALSA MIDI" means.
Does that mean that Ardour's SConstruct file (not scons as a configuration
tool itself) only knows how to find these two implementations of MIDI,
but cannot find other implementations?

> Maybe it is better to build Ardour-3.0 since it does not depend on
> hardware MIDI support. (Since it uses JACK MIDI).

I will try that.

	Sincerely

		Jan

----- End forwarded message -----