[Ardour-Dev] Ardour and jackdbus

Marc-Olivier Barre marco at marcochapeau.org
Sun Dec 27 04:22:17 PST 2009

On Sun, 27 Dec 2009 11:28:43 +0100, rosea grammostola
<rosea.grammostola at gmail.com> wrote:
> rosea grammostola wrote:
>> Hi,
>>

>> Then new Linux audio session handler Ladish, requires, whether you
>> like it or not, jackdbus (at least till version 1.0) to run. It is
>> likely that Ladish is useful for people and that they start to use it.
>> I did some testing with it and it seems that having jackd and jackdbus
>> (both from same jack2 source) installed on one system is not the ideal
>> situation.
>>
>> So people who want to use Ladish may end up with only jackdbus
installed.

>> Now I'm doing a bit of research how to deal with this situation best
>> and how to prepare for it, personal and as 'Linux audio world'.
>>
>> Now my question is. What implications does this have for the use of
>> Ardour. Are there disadvantages to use jackdbus with Ardour instead of
>> jackd? If they exist, is there a way to make this disadvantage as
>> small as possible?
>>

>> Thanks in advance,
>>
>> \r
>>
> Someone please? Thanks.

Why would there be a difference ?

Let me try to explain...

let's say that on you system you have a script named myjackscript.sh that
you use to launch jack. Ardour works just fine if you launch jack with it.

Now let's say you rename the script to myjackdbusscript.sh and try to play
with ardour again...

Would would there be a difference ?

The jackd binary and jackdbus are just launchers. The JACK server is
inside libjack. it's not because you use a different launcher that regular
jack clients will stop working.

--
Marc-Olivier Barre
XMPP ID : marco at marcochapeau.org