[Ardour-Dev] Time to give FLAC some flak ??

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Tue Oct 7 00:30:18 PDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-10-07 at 08:17 +0000, John Emmas wrote:
> Yesterday I inadvertantly managed to upgrade FLAC from its previous version
> (1.1.2) to the latest version (1.2.1).  Unfortunately, in between the two
> versions, FLAC's API has changed significantly.  Unless I've missed
> something (which is entirely possible) the author appears to have made
> little effort (in fact, no effort) to make the new API backwards compatible.
> This has pretty much broken anything that used to rely on the old API (such
> as Ardour 2.5, which I'm currently running).

if you look carefully, you will discover that we have not really
"supported" FLAC for some significant period of time precisely because
of this issue. ardour 2.X uses a "builtin" version of libsndfile that
only works with one version of the FLAC API, and a new version of
libsndfile that fixes this has not yet been released.

ardour 3.0 no longer does this, and requires that you have an install of
a pre-release of the new libsndfile installed. since we have not
released 3.0 (and don't intend to until libsndfile has been released),
this is not really an issue.

i think that FLAC developers made a serious mistake in their handling of
this API change (it was about 2 years ago, maybe 3). but that train has
long since left the station, and we've dealt with it as i described
above.

--p