[Ardour-Dev] waveform display for master track

Jesse Chappell jesse at essej.net
Fri Nov 21 11:34:30 PST 2008

On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 1:57 PM,  <torbenh at gmx.de> wrote:

> the jackless ardour is different. but should still be perfectly
> manageable.

I'm not opposed to a jack-less ardour.  It would come in handy for the
iPhone port :)

> I dont think that a permant exporting is the way to go.
> But having a button to trigger a complete background export does not
> seem like a bad idea to me.
>
> And a GUIless ardour as in player application is also a very useful
> feature.

I am definitely *not* opposed to a GUI-less ardour engine.
I agree with you on both of these points.  I just don't think they
solve Patrick's problems in the way he might prefer. They might solve
a bunch of other people's, though.

>> However, I do kind of like the idea of making a separate JACK
>> application whose sole purpose is to build up a time-line of waveform
>> view(s) from whatever jack ports were connected to it.  Using
>> Jack-transport it would know where in time the audio was for,
>
> hmmm... the strange thing is, that i cant think of any use of this app :)
> i dont see any sense in this.

Well, it doesn't have much use, but it would satisfy Patrick's
requirements.  You could use it for keeping visual tabs on more than
just ardour.  Also might be handy during mastering with Jamin, but
before you print.
But as a tool, it is kind of silly, I admit... audio is meant to be
heard after all.

jlc