[Ardour-Dev] waveform display for master track

torbenh at gmx.de torbenh at gmx.de
Fri Nov 21 10:57:17 PST 2008

On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 09:45:30AM -0500, Jesse Chappell wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 2:48 AM, Patrick Shirkey
> <pshirkey at boosthardware.com> wrote:
>
> >> Jesse's idea will work *right* now. No work. Just do it. Create a new
> >> track. Call it "Master View". Connect its inputs to the master bus
> >> outputs, disconnect its outputs. Put the track into tape mode.
> >> Rec-enable it. Done.
> >>
> >> Oh, save as template. Then start new similar sessions from this
> >> template.
> >
> > If that is decided then what is the possibility of this being automated with
> > a setting in the preferences? Or should it just be a new DJ template added
> > to the collection?
>
> The "automated" aspect of the master tape track solution is the only
> part that isn't implemented in code today.  By that I mean that the
> track would
> always be recording irrespective of the global transport rec-enable.
> I believe implementing this wouldn't be too much of a hardship, but it
> might take someone who has a deep understanding of ardour internals
> not to f-up something subtle.

but it might still miss some places, that have been changed.

> Coming from someone who does have a pretty deep understanding of the
> ardour codebase, the other suggested solutions just seem like madness
> to me, with a very low [usefulness/realistic_effort] ratio.

what is unrealistic/unusable about GUIless ardour ?
the jackless ardour is different. but should still be perfectly
manageable.

and Kjetils solution of running a second jackd -d dummy also
circumvents this.

I guess, we are below 100 lines of code already.

I dont think that a permant exporting is the way to go.
But having a button to trigger a complete background export does not
seem like a bad idea to me.

And a GUIless ardour as in player application is also a very useful
feature.

> However, I do kind of like the idea of making a separate JACK
> application whose sole purpose is to build up a time-line of waveform
> view(s) from whatever jack ports were connected to it.  Using
> Jack-transport it would know where in time the audio was for,

hmmm... the strange thing is, that i cant think of any use of this app :)
i dont see any sense in this.

we might still be thinking about different usecases.

--
torben Hohn
http://galan.sourceforge.net -- The graphical Audio language