[Ardour-Dev] waveform display for master track

Fons Adriaensen fons at kokkinizita.net
Fri Nov 21 10:54:48 PST 2008

On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 06:14:45PM +0100, torbenh at gmx.de wrote:

> the GUIless thing would already be very nice for H104 and Fons.

I could use a GUI-less playback only version in the WFS
system when it is in the unattended 'museum exhitbit'
mode, but it's not a big deal. Ardour runs on the master
machine only, and that one is not headless. In this mode
the 'users' don't see Ardour, all they have is a player
style remote control on a separate machine. This talks OSC
to the master app, which in turn controls Ardour via Jack's
transport.

The one thing that could go wrong regarding Ardour is
if for whatever reason it would popup a dialog window
and require some GUI action in order to proceed. So
far the only case where I've seen this happen is when
Jack bails out, in which case the complete system will
be restarted anyway from scratch.

So far the only problems with all this is Ardour's
capricious way of

1. stopping sometimes when asked to reposition via
Jack's transport while running,

2. effectively ignoring a locate command immediately
following a stop, by doing one itself.

Both require dirty hacks in the master app in order
to make the remote control reliable.

Ciao,

--
FA