[Ardour-Dev] Building 2.7

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Fri Nov 21 03:52:54 PST 2008

On Fri, 2008-11-21 at 11:19 +0000, Chris Ross wrote:
> According to http://ardour.org/building
> "scons --help" in the top level directory of Ardour will give a list of
> the parameters. However in my case it simply says
>

> chris at happy 11:05:49 ardour-2.7 $ scons --help
> scons: Reading SConscript files ...
> Checking for pkg-config version >= 0.8.0... yes
> Checking for gthread-2.0... yes
> Checking for lrdf... yes
> Checking for libgnomecanvas-2.0... yes
> Checking for gtk+-2.0... yes
> Checking for jack... no
> jack >= 0.109.0 not found.
> You do not have the necessary dependencies required to build ardour
> Please consult http://ardour.org/building for more information
>

> What I wanted it to do was list the parameter I needed to tell it to use
> the jack installed in /usr/local (0.109.2) instead of the standard SuSE
> one. I don't want to uninstall the SuSE one for dependency reasons.

1) this is a weakness of either SCons' design or our use of it.
-h/--help does indeed do that BUT only after it gets all the way to the
end of our SConstruct file. if it runs into a problem before then then
the --help action is never taken. who's to blame for this? i am not
sure.

2) you should know already that having 2 JACK's installed is a recipe
for pain. nasty pain. irritating pain.

3) if you insist, the path ahead is rocky, but also nothing to do with
scons. you need to set PKG_CONFIG_PATH and possibly LD_LIBRARY_PATH to
point include your alternate directories, before running scons, and
before running ardour.

4) you can install newer JACK right over the top of older JACK, and
other than on Debian-derived systems of some vintage, it will just work.
many people do things this way.

> Also, didn't there use to be a DOCUMENTATION directory or did that get
> built by scons?

its been removed. it was full of old information that was never updated.
documentation is online. thats the only sensible source for it at this
point.