[Ardour-Dev] waveform display for master track

John Emmas johne53 at tiscali.co.uk
Tue Nov 18 06:35:57 PST 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Rigg"
Subject: Re: [Ardour-Dev] waveform display for master track

> Forgive me if this is a stupid question, it just seems an alien concept
> to me to set up a mix and not record it.

You might want to record your mix on some external device (in which case,
it would be wasteful to have to record it back into Ardour).

One area where a "master waveform" would be useful would be if you needed to
mix a project over several days (and not necessarily in chronological
order).  It would be very easy to see which bits you'd already done
(especially if the waveform production could be enabled as and when
required).  You could leave it switched off while rehearsing or premixing
and then turn it on for the final mix.

I think this is one of those features that people would find really useful,
once they'd tried it and tthey'd soon miss it if they went back to some
other system that didn't offer it.

Does anyone know of another system that already offers this?  I don't and
personally, I like the idea.  I've often said that Ardour should offer more
individuality and establish an identity all of its own.

Good idea, IMHO.

John