[Ardour-Dev] Dutch translation

Eivind meinmycell-lists at yahoo.no
Wed May 21 04:17:29 PDT 2008

> I think it depends on the term. I'd use the words that
> musicians/producers
> actually use on everyday work in each contry. For example,
> in Spain
> everybody using a DAW should know what a 'track'
> is, but then when talking
> we usually use the word 'Pista'.

I agree - it depends on the term. This demonstrates that different levels of using the English terms are required for different languages. In Norway as in Spain, everybody knows what "track" is, but we would both write and say "spor", simply because it is the Norwegian word for it. Therefore, "spor" is what I use in Ardour, and I guess "pista" would be used in the Spanish translation. But again, "loop" is heard in Norwegian as well.

Maybe it could be useful with some elaboration on what "the Ardour way of thinking" is here - I don't suppose we want all translators to use the untranslated technical terms?

Eivind Ødegård