[Ardour-Dev] Average RMS analyser tool for Ardour

Quentin Harley qharley at wbs.co.za
Thu Mar 6 11:20:48 PST 2008

Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> RMS level is not the same as loudness.

Thanks, I am aware of this

> Subjective loudness, and how it varies in function of RMS,
> depends on:
>
> - absolute listening level,
> - the spectrum of your signal, and its recent history,
> - the FR of you playback system,
> - if you like the sound/music or not,
> - etc. etc.

That is why I am going to trust my ears to to the real adjustment.  All
I need is to get the material in some target region, and then do the
adjustments for each track by ear around that point.  I also do quite a
bit of classical and choral recordings, and I find my end result
sometimes too soft for radio.  Again, I just need some reference until I
can get the base level right.

Thanks for your input.  It confirms what I believed was true regarding
automated "mastering".

That is why I like the ardour-jamin combination so much.  You have full
control, and in the end what sounds best wins

Daniel at 64studio gave me a link to a command-line tool I could use.

Cheers,
Quentin