[Ardour-Dev] Average RMS analyser tool for Ardour

Fons Adriaensen fons at kokkinizita.net
Thu Mar 6 07:59:10 PST 2008

On Thu, Mar 06, 2008 at 05:15:59PM +0200, Quentin Harley wrote:

> Quentin Harley wrote:
> > I am looking for a RMS analyser to use with Ardour and Jamin for
> > approximating loudness in mastering.
> >
> > Any tips appreciated
> >

> I assume the silence means that everybody is just winging it, as I have
> so far.

You could be a bit clearer as to what exactly you want.

RMS level is not the same as loudness.

Subjective loudness, and how it varies in function of RMS,
depends on:

- absolute listening level,
- the spectrum of your signal, and its recent history,
- the FR of you playback system,
- if you like the sound/music or not,
- etc. etc.

There are standardised methods to measure loudness in some
contexts, but they must be applied to a physical sound signal,
not some recorded data.

--
FA

Parma, Italia