[Ardour-Dev] SVN 3134

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Sun Jun 15 20:10:37 PDT 2008

On Sun, 2008-06-15 at 19:20 -0700, Rich E wrote:
> This was something that had stopped me for quite some time from
> compiling ardour from svn . I use jack from the ubuntu repositories,
> and ardour always seems to be ahead of them. For about 1 month, I was
> able to compile ardour with  libjack-0.103.0 from the gutsy
> repositories... but no longer.  Now it seems that, once again, if I
> want to use anything other later than 2.41 (which had lots of bugs in
> my experience), I need to uninstall all ubuntu/ubuntu-studio packages
> and compile from source.  What a drag.. so much that I gave up on
> beta-testing ardour.
>
> It is one thing that the 3.0 branch is using jack from svn, but why
> make 2-ongoing depend on unstable packages as well? What happens when
> 2.5 comes out and no one can use it because their jack version isn't
> new enough?

people who use packages won't get packages till the distribution package
maintainers build them and update the dependencies. people who build
from source will either build from source or wait. what else can we do?

> Maybe there are steps to be taken before this happens that I am
> unaware of.

we cannot be responsible for what versions of JACK are packaged with a
given distribution.  note that JACK 0.109.2 was released in January of
2008, almost 6 months ago. If a distribution has not caught up with that
version, then all we can really do is say "don't bother to try to use
this distribution for beta-testing ardour".