[Ardour-Dev] SMPTE track

John Emmas johne53 at tiscali.co.uk
Thu Jul 10 00:57:53 PDT 2008

Hi Florian,

You've raised a large number of issues there.  In my experience, the
mastered multitrack (probably now in stereo) would normally be passed to the
video editor who would re-sync it (as best he could - given that video NLE's
can only work in whole numbers of frames).  Or alternatively, the video
editor would work with a rough mix and then the audio editor would perform
the re-sync.

Either way, the timecode in the finished video would bear no resemblence to
tthe original recorded timecode.  However, if you know the relevant offset,
that's all you need to perform an accurate re-sync.  This does mean however,
that whoever masters the multitrack must keep it at the same timecode as was
originally recorded (which may or may not be convenient for them).

Either way, the crucial information you need to know is the offset between
the master mix and the edited pictures.  A timecode track may or may not
help you with this.

Back in the days of multitrack tape, it was quite common to stripe one track
of the tape with LTC but I don;t think I've ever seen that done for a DAW.

Sadly, I'll be out for the rest of today - but I'll give this some thought.

John